Disability Advocacy Training
In 2021, our Community Outreach Team began partnering with schools, churches, clinics and other local community sites to host Disability Advocacy Trainings. These trainings educate and empower Disability Advocates as they create a world where children with intellectual disabilities are valued!
Disability Advocacy Training in churches.
- Where pastors and church leaders can learn Scriptures about disabilities, and dispel common myths and beliefs about curses.
- Where Sunday School programs become inclusive instead of only welcoming to typically-developing kids.
- Where Pastors may just become the 1st place parents turn, instead of traditional healers (witch doctors).
Disability Advocacy Training in clinics.
- Where interested staff can learn facts about what causes disability (and what doesn’t), how to speak with parents, and that they can refer to our CCC manager when a child with intellectual disabilities is identified.
Disability Advocacy Training in schools.
- Where teachers and teaching assistants can learn facts about disabilities and methods to adapt their teaching to accommodate children with intellectual disabilities into their schools well. Siblings would be able to go to the same school once a school learns enough to include the child with intellectual disabilities into their program.